Our second question, “WHAT ARE THE WAYS THAT MY COUNCIL OR INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS COULD SUPPORT THOSE IN OUR COMMUNITY WHO ARE CAREGIVERS?
- Make them aware of available services .
- Listen, Listen, Listen (many members stressed this).
- Take them out for a meal.
- Visit them.
- Bring communion.
- Help with home chores.
- Ask what their needs are and help where you can.
- Prepare a meal for the family.
- Offer to babysit if needed.
- Have tea or coffee with them.
- Take them out for coffee.
- Pray for them.
- Drive them to an appointment.
- Offer to stay with the person they are taking care of so they can do self care appointments or just so they can get out and do whatever they wish to do.
- Food donations (if needed).
- Give them prayer cards, rosary, etc.
- Send cards to cheer them.
- Take them grocery shopping and help.
- Talk to members who have been caregivers and learn from them (maybe even as a speaker).
- Help them get a special needs parking permit if they are transporting their loved one.
- If there is a financial need, help them get services.
- Do errands for them.
- Remember and pray for them at Adoration.
- Reminisce with them (if asked).
- Bring blessings from yourself, the council and others.
- Try to laugh with them.
- If appropriate, and preferably with another member present, offer touch – a hug, a cross on the forehead, holding hands during the Lord’s Prayer.
- Take the palliative care course to give caregivers a break.
Dear Sisters in the League, if you read this and think of someone on your council or someone in another council who might not have the time to read and download it, or someone who does not use a computer much, please make a copy for them (click on the printer icon just under the title on the right). Most members who completed these two questions recommended talking about these issues.
And, you have prepared a fabulous list for councils to use to check off what they have done and to perhaps try something they have never done. If you have other suggestions to add to these lists, please send them to me so we can add them.Thank you so much!
Marjorie Robinson, Spiritual Development Chair, CWL Calgary Diocesan Council