Parish Communications memo Fall 2019
- Hits: 139
DATE: September 30, 2019
FROM: Doreen Gowans, National second vice-president and chairperson of communications
TO: Parish chairpersons of communications
Welcome to another year of belonging to the best sisterhood—The Catholic Women’s League of Canada! I pray this year will be one of excellent communicating between all levels of the League and members. I count on you to educate and inform members of what is taking place within the League, your League. I want to express my deepest appreciation for all the work you do in your council each year. You are keen and have an exemplary way of getting things done.
As Pope Francis stated, “Communicating means sharing, and sharing demands listening and acceptance. Listening is much more than simply hearing. Hearing is about receiving information, while listening is about communication, and calls for closeness. Listening allows us to get things right, and not simply to be passive onlookers, users or consumers. Listening also means being able to share questions and doubts, to journey side by side, to banish all claims to absolute power and to put our abilities and gifts at the service of the common good” (Message for World Day of Social Communications, January 22, 2016).
I wish to share with you the work the strategic planning implementation committee has accomplished over the past year. The four leads, Sharon Ciebin, chairperson and leader of Goal 4, Lisa Henry, vice-chairperson and leader of Goal 1, Sister Susan Scott, secretary and leader of Goal 2, and Jacqueline Nogier, leader of Goal 3, worked tirelessly compiling more than 900 hours of volunteer time to move forward with the strategic plan. Photographs and information are on the national website. Visit the website to become familiar with the wonderful dedicated women who have committed to five years of volunteer time for members.
Strategic Planning: As chairpersons of communication we are tasked with promoting in a positive and enthusiastic manner changes coming forward with the strategic planning initiative.
Where can information be found?
- Chairpersons must know and understand the strategic plan. On the national website under “quicklinks” is a link to the Implementation of the Strategic Plan. All information shared through national conventions is there for you to share with members
- Use the CWL Prayer for Renewal at council meetings and events.
- Ask members to use the prayer daily, petitioning Our Lady of Good Counsel to guide theimplementation committee and ensure the national strategic plan is successful.
- At the beginning of each month (approximately), an update will be posted offering information the implementation committee would like members to know as quickly as possible. The goal is to keep members informed, enthusiastic, excited, wanting more information and willing to implement the changes as they become available.
- If the planning committee needs help, a request will be posted on the website. One such notice was published when the implementation committee was looking for members interested in becomingpart of the working groups. I am proud to say we had many members wanting to share their gifts and talents to help move the process along, thus the working groups have been formed. I encourage you to avail yourselves of the information and SHARE it with members.
- Currently national office is looking for members to take part in surveys. If interested in providing information, visit the national website and provide your personal information. You may be contacted by national office and/or the implementation committee to be part of a focus group or for other research needs in support of ongoing strategic planning requests. Personal information will be safe-guarded.
- Other items of note on the website are:
- Goals 1-4 Spring 2019
- Meet the Implementation Committee
- Five Year Strategy Map
- The Catholic Women’s League of Canada Plans Strategically 2018 – 2022
- For more information go to Facebook, Twitter, communication communiques and The Canadian League magazine. Several articles and updates can be found in the winter and spring issue.
- Do not hesitate to contact me with questions.
Strategic Planning Presentation: At the 2019 annual national convention in Calgary, National President-Elect and Chairperson of Organization Fran Lucas’ presentation, The League of the Future: Year 1 was live-streamed. This presentation will be made available on the national website. Watch for further information so you can share the presentation with your council. The PowerPoint presentation was forwarded to provincial presidents-elect. Invite her or her designate to come and present to your council.
Annual Reports: It is the time of the year when councils “toot their own horn” by telling their story. This year the communications annual report includes a section on strategic planning. I encourage you to answer questions informing the League of where members are in understanding the ins and outs of the strategic planning process. The report will guide the implementation committee going forward. Please help them. Remember, chairpersons will need to print the report prior to selecting the submit button.
Doing so provides the parish council with a copy of the report which may be used as a guide in planning future events and for actions to be taken.
We need to congratulate the implementation committee and the working groups for the dedication and volunteer time they have committed to making the League the BEST!
Your sister in the League.